The Vanguard 10×42 Spirit ED Binocular is their lightest roof prism model with fully multicoated ED glass lenses. The rubber armored housing comes in at an impressive 22.6 oz, but doesn’t skimp at all upon the optics. This is the choice for someone who values low weight and high optical quality over a more metal-based housing which weighs more but can be knocked around a bit.
Unlike a hunter’s binocular, Vanguard has given the Spirit multicoatings which target the green color spectrum, for enhanced nature observation. The waterproof and fogproof Spirit has moisture-dispersing external coatings which help to shed precipitation quickly.
As a 10×42, this Spirit binocular provides a high degree of magnification in a relatively compact device. The 6° viewing angle is comfortably wide enough for distant scanning of shorebirds and unapproachable wildlife, and the eye relief of 16mm allows most users a view of the binocular’s entire field.
Use and Handling
- Closed-bridge configuration
- Large knurled center focusing knob
- ±4 right-eye dioptric correction
- Two-stage twist-up rubber eyecups for comfortable use with or without eyewear
- Tripod mountable with optional adapter
- 10x magnification
- 42mm objective lenses
- BAK4 compact roof prisms
- Extra low-dispersion (ED) glass elements reduces chromatic and spherical aberration to produce crisp and clear high-contrast images with accurate color representation across the entire field of view without distortion
- V-Max anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics improves light transmission, color rendition, and contrast
- Phase-correcting prism coatings reduces internal light diffraction to further improve contrast and overall image sharpness
- Wide 60° apparent viewing angle
- Comfortable 16mm eye relief
- Wide 4.2mm exit pupil
- Lightweight and strong magnesium alloy chassis
- Protective rubber armoring provides a slip-resistant grip
- Nitrogen-filled for water and fogproof performance
- Weight: 22.6 ounces