Nikon‘s black 8x42 ProStaff 7S Binoculars represent the most powerful model within the flagship line of their ProStaff series. They come outfitted with an array of optical and design features to give users the ability to discern details at a distance—in even the most challenging light and harshest weather.
They feature phase-corrected roof prisms that have been further treated with highly reflective mirror coatings, and anti-reflection fully multicoated optical surfaces that work together to maximize light transmission, while limiting internal diffraction and interference, to produce bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate color rendition across the entire visual spectrum. The 42mm objectives boost their light-gathering ability to improve views in challenging light such as at dawn and dusk, or in foggy and cloudy weather, without the bulk and weight of larger-objective models. Their spacious apparent angle of view helps to mitigate the appearance of visible hand shake that is often associated with holding powerful optics such as this and minimizes the movement of the horizon line on rough or rolling seas to limit disorientation when using them on a boat. The combination of prisms, coatings, and comfortable eye relief allows users to enjoy an immersive observational experience from early morning to late evening.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that make the binoculars durable and comfortable to use. They have a lightweight and corrosion-resistant reinforced polycarbonate resin chassis and is protected by black rubberized armor that is accented with textured palm pads to give them a secure non-slip grip. The optical tubes are nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and submersible, as well as resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature variations and environmental conditions. A tethered one-piece ocular rainguard covers the eyecups as the binoculars hangs around the neck and prevents rain and spraying water from filling them. The objective lens caps can clip onto the neck strap to keep them safe from blowing overboard or being lost on the forest floor.
Whether you’re hiking, hunting, birding, or boating, this ProStaff will quickly become indispensable for all your outdoor activities.
- 42mm objective lenses improve light-gathering ability without adding excessive bulk or weight
- Roof prism light path ensures optical tubes remain thin for a compact form factor
- Phase-corrected prism coatings reduce internal interference to improve light transmission, contrast, and resolution
- Highly reflective mirror coatings on prism surfaces reduce internal light loss and diffraction for brighter and sharper views
- Anti-reflection fully multicoated optics maximize light transmission across the entire visible spectrum for accurate color rendition and improved contrast and clarity
- Apparent angle of view approaches wide-angle to help minimize the appearance of visible hand shake that is common when holding high-power optics
- 325′ field of view at 1000 yards
- Environmentally friendly Eco-Glass is made without lead and arsenic
- Lightweight and durable fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate chassis
- Chassis material is temperature resistant, preventing the expansion and contraction that is common with metal, which can cause the optical components to move out of alignment over time and prevent sharp focus
- Textured black rubber armoring protects against bumps and impacts while providing a slip-resistant grip, especially in cold and wet weather
- Textured, ergonomically placed palm pads improve grip stability and comfort
- Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and submersible to 3.3′ (1m) for up to 10 minutes and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes and environmental conditions
- One-piece tethered ocular rainguard protects eyecups from water pooling in them from rain or spraying water when hanging from the neck
- Objective lens caps can be clipped to neck strap to avoid losing them during observation sessions
- Weight: 23 ounces
Use and Handling
- Closed-bridge configuration provides a solid and stable platform for the internal focusing mechanism
- Large slip center focus wheel allows for precise focus control, even while wearing gloves
- Right eye dioptric adjustment collar helps to compensate for individual eye prescription
- 56-72mm interpupillary adjustment range
- Twist-up/click-stop rubber eyecups for use with or without eyewear
- 15.5mm eye relief helps to reduce eyestrain and improves viewing comfort
- Comfortable 4.2mm exit pupil will cover most pupils in low light to help keep the full scene in view